With theatre activities affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, Carlow Little Theatre Society (CLTS), will be running a new one-act playwriting competition this Autumn to encourage the writing of new play material.
Three finalist plays will be selected from the entries, which will each receive a rehearsed, performed reading by actors from CLTS. An overall winner will then be selected, with a monetary prize of €300 for 1st place, €200 for 2nd place, and €100 for third place kindly sponsored by local marketing and call centre company, Maven TM.
The competition is open to all writers over 18 years old, both members and non-members, local and international. The play submitted must be in English and be an original work of the entrant that has not yet been published, nor performed on stage previously, nor received any awards previously.
The script length / duration of the play should not exceed 20 minutes.
Scripts are to be sent electronically to Carlow Little Theatre Society, by emailing them to email@example.com with the subject header of ‘Playwriting Competition’, along with fully completed entry form attached to the email. Note that the entrant’s name should appear only on the entry form and not on the scripts.
Deadline: the deadline for entry is midnight of Friday, September 4th 2020.
No entry fee is required.
The 3 finalist plays selected for the performed readings will be announced on Wednesday, September 30th 2020, with the entrants also contacted directly.
The 3 plays are planned to have their performed readings towards the end of October, though the date involved may be subject to change. Each play will be assigned a director and the performed readings will involve rehearsed readings of the plays in advance of the performance.
The overall outright winner of the competition is to be announced on Tuesday, November 17th 2020.
Playwrights are asked to read the guidelines below
before submitting their play for consideration:
- Each play should have a running time of up to 20 minutes. As a guide, use the format: 1 page equals approximately 1 minute of performance time.
- Script formats are not strict and can take a variety of forms. However, it must be clearly formatted and the recommended format is 12pt, double-spaced, Times New Roman.
- Plays should be sent as doc (Word) or PDF, via email only. We do not accept hard copy.
- Each script should be numbered, with the title of the play at the top of each page.
- The playwright’s name should not appear on the script.
- All entrants must be 18 years of age or older.
- The script should not have been published, performed previously or be scheduled for performance or have received any awards previously.
- The play should not be an excerpt from a longer work.
- We do not accept adaptations.
- Closing date for entries is midnight, Friday September 4th 2020.
- Entries are to be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Header of ‘Playwriting Competition’.
- Each submission must be accompanied by the fully completed entry form. The entry form can be downloaded directly from HERE.
- Entry to the competition provides Carlow Little Theatre Society with permission and rights to perform all received plays.
- Selected finalist writers are asked, but not required, to be available for communications with the director assigned to their play, either via electronic communication, phone or in person meetings.
Sponsored by local marketing & call centre company: