One_Act_Competition_2021_web_header.gif
The competition is open to all writers over 18 years old, both members and non-members, local and international. The play submitted must be in English and be an original work of the entrant that has not yet been published, nor performed on stage previously, nor received any awards previously. No entry fee is required.

 

The script length / duration of the play should not exceed 20 minutes.

 

Scripts are to be sent electronically to Carlow Little Theatre Society, by emailing them to carlowlittletheatre@gmail.com with the subject header of ‘2021/22 Playwriting Competition’, along with fully completed entry form attached to the email. Note that the entrant’s name should appear only on the entry form and not on the scripts. 

 

DEADLINE: the deadline for entry is midnight of Monday 20th December 2021.

 

The 3 finalist plays selected for rehearsed readings will be announced on Friday 4th February 2022, with the entrants also contacted directly.

 

Two independent adjudicators will judge the final three scripts prior to the rehearsed readings. The rehearsed readings of the three finalist plays are then planned to be streamed on Saturday 19th February 2022. Online voting will begin as this stream finishes and this online vote will remain open until 23:59 on Monday 21st February 2022. The online votes will count for 34% of the final total with the remaining 66% split between the two adjudicators. The overall outright winner of the competition will be announced on Tuesday 22nd February 2022, with a monetary prize of €500 for 1st place, €300 for 2nd place and €200 for third place kindly sponsored by local marketing and call centre company, Maven TM.

 

Playwrights are asked to read the guidelines below before submitting their play for consideration:

 

  • Each play should have a running time of up to 20 minutes. As a guide, use the format: 1 page equals approximately 1 minute of performance time.
  • Script formats are not strict and can take a variety of forms. However, it must be clearly formatted and the recommended format is 12pt, double-spaced, Times New Roman.
  • Plays should be sent as doc (Word) or PDF, via email only. We do not accept hard copy.
  • Each script should be numbered, with the title of the play at the top of each page.
  • The playwright’s name should not appear on the script.
  • All entrants must be 18 years of age or older.
  • The script should not have been published, performed previously or be scheduled for performance or have received any awards previously.
  • The play should not be an excerpt from a longer work.
  • We do not accept adaptations.
  • Closing date for entries is midnight (GMT), Monday 20th December 2021.
  • Entries are to be sent by email to carlowlittletheatre@gmail.com with the Subject Header of ‘2021/22 Playwriting Competition’.
  • Each submission must be accompanied by the fully completed entry form. The entry form can be downloaded directly from HERE.
  • Entry  to the competition provides Carlow Little Theatre Society with permission and rights to perform all received plays in a rehearsed reading. A recording of the rehearsed readings will then be streamed online and will remain on Carlow Little Theatre Society's social media for a period of no more than seven days thereafter.
  • Selected finalist writers are asked, but not required, to be available for communications with the director assigned to their play, either via electronic communication, phone or in person meetings. The director retains the final artistic control over each plays' production but all efforts will be made to engage with the writers wishes where possible.
  • Alterations to the scripts (only with the expressed consent of the writer), will be permitted during rehearsals up to seven days prior to the streaming of the rehearsed reading. After this point, a final script will be sent to the independent adjudicators.
  • The online votes will account for 34% of the final total. The remaining 66% will be split between two independent judges, who will adjudicate on the scripts only and not the rehearsed readings.

 

Website Created & Hosted by Doteasy Web Hosting Canada